Though it is a stressful time for everyone, it’s important to remember there are still ways we can take care of ourselves emotionally, even when there is so much chaos and uncertainty around us.
One way of doing a quick de-stress is a short meditative relaxation technique.
- Take a deep breath in, imagining your breath reaching all the way down to your belly button when you inhale.
- Exhale and relax your neck and shoulders, allowing your shoulders to drop gently.
- Relax your jaw, forehead, and between your brows.
- Relax your knees slightly and press your feet into the ground, paying attention to how your feet are connecting to the earth beneath you.
- Remain this way for 10-30 deep breaths, telling yourself, “I can feel myself, right here, right now, and right now, I am okay.”
As Mr. Rogers recounted, in times of turmoil, look for the helpers. There are always those there helping others, including those who are working to help your loved ones in assisted living facilities here and around the world. Take care of yourselves, and remember, we are all getting through this together.